Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Weird People and Pregnant Ladies and Stop Grabbing The Belly

People act weird around pregnant ladies. (Although, to be fair and politically correct, I'd imagine people would act equally weird around pregnant men).

Some of it is pretty sweet. Folks riding the X-2 bus with us are a little more likely to offer a seat, family and friends are more sensitive about our time and eager to make sure Mimi gets enough rest.

Then there are the belly touchers. Family and friends aren't a problem, but strangers off the street are. They seem to be under the impression that they are entitled to touch my wife's stomach. They'll ask permission sometimes but usually they're reaching for her stomach before she gives consent.

"Excuse me, ma'am? Can you kindly remove your hand from my wife's stomach?"

I want to think that people are just enamored by the mystic time that is the creation of new life. But I don't think it is. I think it's just American entitlement.

No comments:

Post a Comment